Alcohol Service

Alcohol service at all University events/activities and University properties is governed by Oregon Administrative Rules found in OAR 576-060 and MUST be registered with the OSU Office of Risk Management (ORM) 3 weeks PRIOR to your event.

Regulations concerning alcohol use by students or by recognized student organizations are found in OAR 576-018-0230 to 0260, and OAR 576-015-0015.

State funds can NOT be used to purchase alcohol.

ALCOHOL SERVICE IS NOT PERMITTED DURING BUSINESS HOURS; Alcohol service will not be approved during normal working hours.

Alcohol consumption is outside the scope of state employment or duties and shall be limited to after work hours and after state duties have actually ended.  

Guidelines for Alcohol Service on OSU Controlled Property

All service of alcohol must be registered through the Office of Risk Management and subject to the following guidelines:

  • Alcoholic beverages are limited to beer and wine.
  • Request must be submitted via the online web registration form at least three weeks (21 days) prior to the event.
  • An insured licensed vendor must serve the alcoholic beverages. The licensed vendor must have a current Certificate of Insurance on file that includes liquor liability.
  • Food and non-alcoholic beverages must be provided at any event where alcohol is served.

Guidelines for Alcohol at Parking Lots

Tailgating is only allowed prior to scheduled varsity football games.  Individuals wishing to picnic ("tailgate") prior to scheduled OSU varsity football games are subject to the following guidelines:

  • No kegs or other bulk dispensing of alcohol is permitted unless served by an insured licensed vendor.
  • Any organized group of 25 or more people must register the event and have the alcohol served by an insured licensed vendor.
  • Those events which require a licensed vendor may not be served after the close of half-time of the football game.
  • No alcoholic beverages, metal or glass containers, are permitted inside Reser Stadium except in designated areas such as the Skyboxes, Loge, and Club.

Guidelines for Alcohol Use by Students, Student Organizations and Living Groups

Individual students and all student organizations and student living groups are subject to the rules found in OAR 576-018-0230 to 0260, and OAR 576-015-0015 for alcohol use. Please contact the Office of Student Conduct for additional information.